Wednesday 10 December 2008

So it's Wednesday and I have just about finished my working week, though I'm doing OT tomorrow.

I'm doing OT for 2 reasons, the first is that this job simply doesn't pay a livable wage without putting in some OT every now and then, and secondly the company I work for is offering a bonus for working more than a certain number of OT hours over the festive period, so now seemed like a good time to chuck some OT in. The result of which is that I am working 6 day weeks over the next 2 weeks, working 10 - 12 hours a day in order to get in the number of hours I need to in order to qualify for the bonus, so I am absolutetly exhausted.

Sunday was our "Team night out", and we went for a meal at an Indian. The meal was nice, but I was a bit disappointed that more of the team didn't turn out for it, in the end there was only just over a 1/3 of us there. However, the meal was a nice 3 course meal, and the service was excellent. The conversation (and the booze) flowed and a good time was had by all, I particularly enjoyed the chance to speak to those of my colleagues I don't often get a chance to speak to.

The meal finished, and the decision was made to go to the pub, so I made my excuses and went home - it was 1030 and I was working in the morning.

The next day, I arrived at the office for my new start time of 0800, to find that I was the only person in the office looking even remotely fresh faced, and unhungover. One of my colleagues had not even made it into work, and finally appeared an hour and 45 mins later after a phone call. He didn't know where he had woken up or how he had got there, but he thought he'd probably had a good night.

Perhaps predicatably, the last 2 days have been spent sorting out the petty little squabbles that too much drink will cause, but thankfully it seems to have died down now.

My next christmas night out is on Friday, and as it's aimed at young people, there will be no alcohol. Hopefully it will be my last this festive season, I need a break . . .

No comments: